Balkan Network for Local Democracy (BNLD) is a regional network promoting active citizen participation, democratic governance principles, local development and co-operation between civil society organisations and local public authorities in the Western Balkan Region. BNLD is founded by the European Association for local democracy (ALDA) and the 7 Local Democracy Agencies (LDA) from Western Balkans aiming to support regional cooperation. BNLD action is based on the principle of partnership and multilateral decentralized cooperation.
BNLD Vision & Mission
The vision of BNLD is to contribute to good neighborhood relations, regional stability and prosperity based on good local governance while supporting culture of dialogue and respect of diversity in Western Balkans.
The mission of BNLD is to empower civil society and local authorities to jointly engage in democratic reform process and local democracy principles and to support regional cooperation and policy dialogue towards EU integration of the Western Balkans region.
- Promotion of the respect for universal human rights and equality principles;
- Development of inclusive society, participative democracy and social cohesion;
- Development of the culture of dialogue and intercultural understanding;
- Promotion of subsidiarity principles and good governance at local level;
- Respect of sustainable development and environment protection;
- Development and implementation of activities respecting the principle of partnership.
- Strengthen the role of CSOs and Local Authorities in adherence to principles of good governance at local level and in anchoring the democratic reforms across society;
- Promote civil dialogue, active citizenship and participation of all sections of society and youth in particular in public policy and decision making at local level;
- Support the process of EU integration in Western Balkan region with enhanced regional cooperation of different stakeholders;
- Enhance the sustainability of the LDAs from the Western Balkans through capacity building, innovative service provision and regional thematic networking.